What is Cydia?
Developed by Jay Freeman , Cydia is a third-party installer app similar like the official App Store designed for Apple Devices. here you get apps and tweaks for free. Ever wondering, why Cydia is important, Simple, because it offers you what Apple doesn’t. For instance you can only set audio ringtones for incoming calls on your iOS device. But there's VUZIQ is a new Cydia tweak available through theBigBoss repo which allows you to set video ringtones for incoming iOS calls another is Installous which lets you nstall all apps (Free & premium) on your device, without spending any dine. Basically, all the apps are cracked and hosted on free hosting sites.
NB: To be able to run Cydia, you must jailbreak your iOS device, which we have discussed further in this tutorial.
Why was Cydia developed when there is App Store?
Cydia was developed to give you super powers over your iOS devices, Most times some important apps for your iDevice can’t be approved by Apple, so these sweet apps and tweaks can be found in Cydia but not on the App Store.
Jailbreaking is the process of gaining super user authority by modifying the iOS hereby having root access to perform any action and remove all restriction imposed by Apple. To run Cydia perfectly jailbreaking is what you can't run from.
Jailbreaking can be divided into three pars, which are summarized below.
What is tethered, semi tethered and untethered jailbreak?
- Tethered jailbreak requires you to plug in your Apple Device into the computer every time the device reboots.
- Untethered jailbreak counters that and allows you to reboot without any barrier.
- Semi-tethered jailbreak allows you to reboot without any issues but some of the downloaded jailbreak apps are not accessible, but full super user access is available again once connected to the computer.
What are different tools of used for jailbreaking?
The tools for JailBreak is a very long one,but the popular ones are
- AprilRa1n for the iPad 3.
Is Cydia safe?
To be honest, It’s not 100% safe as most apps on the Cydia Store, have high chances of malware which infects your device. So be sure to read about any app, before you download it. I recommend downloading from trusted repositories like BigBoss and ModMyi.
What are Cydia repositories?
The repositories are mostly online hub where developers store their tweaks for easy access and installation. The most popular repositories are BigBoss and ModMyi.
How to purchase apps from Cydia?
Cydia offers some awesome paid tweaks to spice up your iPhone or iPad. You need an iTunes Apple ID to purchase apps from the app store. Cydia allows you to login with a Facebook or Twitter account and pay via Amazon gift cards or Paypal. Payments are easier than you expect.
Can Cydia Be installed without jailbreaking?
NEVER! If anyone says that you can download Cydia without jailbreaking your iDevice then either he is a fool or think trying to make you one.
few recommend Cydia tweaks:
- iSleepWell: This tweak uses hardware sensors that detect the orientation of the iDevice and turns off all the radios when the device is placed screen down on a surface. The Airplane mode will be activated when you’re in a meeting or about to sleep. You can get it from the BigBoss repository for $0.99. It works on iOS 5 and above.
- ClipboardEdit: This creates a new section in the Notification Center, and that automatically reads text from the clipboard and then displays the text. Not suitable for images though, but you can always use it for text items. This one is available via BigBoss repository for free.
- AssitantExtensions: For me, this is the most important nowadays for the iPhone 4S users. It increases the possibilities of what can be done using Siri. Based upon MobileSubstrate, it allows hackers and developers to come up with more extensions for the tweak. It is a free download via BigBoss repository.
- Activator v 1.6.2: Activator is an essential tweak that is a must for every jailbreaker. Many other tweaks rely on Activator for activation methods, which show how powerful it really is. You can search for the latest version of Activator through the search tab explained above. The latest update adds support for iOS 5.1 (Apple’s latest iOS firmware).
- iLettars: Allows you to customize animations and make them as slow as desired. There are settings which allow you to choose the desired speed. The tweak is based on Activator actions. You can find it via the ModMyi repo for $1.59.