The Oppo R9 Plus is the latest android device around
This particular breach is different from the previous one in September, which led to about 500 million accounts that were hacked sometime in 2014.
The latest breach may include names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (using MD5). But sensitive financial data like payment information and banking information were not stolen by the breach as the system that stores them was not affected.
Yahoo has also started to notify potentially affected users and necessary steps taken to secure their accounts, including requiring users to change old passwords.
To further protect their accounts, users are advised to;
- Regularly review account activity
- Change passwords of other accounts that have similar passwords with the Yahoo mail
- Beware of website and emails demanding personal information
- Avoid opening suspicious links and attachments
- Consider using the Yahoo Account Key for authentication.